This webinar is only available as a recording.
Many businesses and organisations have been heard to complain that the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) is simply red tape and something their “IT people” will have to address – later. These assumptions are not only flawed; they also miss the point. In the compliance industry, gearing up to become compliant is a component of good governance in everyday activities, not a set of rules emailed to all and sundry.
With the compliance date of 1 July 2021 looming, we all need to put our house in order. POPIA is not a paperwork exercise to be addressed by copying and pasting privacy policies, because the form privacy protection takes is unique to every business. And it is not simply an IT thing, although the IT component is important. Rather, it is the responsibility of management to ensure that the business, whether it is big or small, client-facing or a desk-top activity, has measures in place to ensure that any personal information it has obtained is dealt with as prescribed by the Act.
In our webinar we aim to give you the framework and tools to make POPIA compliance a way of doing business: in your own business as well as your clients’ businesses.
- Scope of application of the act
- Key definitions and concepts
- What is required of the responsible party?
- The relationship with the operator and both parties' responsibilities
- POPIA and the GDPR interaction: similarities and differences
- The office of the Information Regulator
- The role, function and appointment of the responsible party's information office, and interplay with PAIA
- Liability for compliance and procedure in the event of a breach
- Transborder transfer of personal information
- The rights of data subjects
- Data breach notification
- Data retention
- Electronic marketing
- This is a 3-hour webinar which is available as a recording.
- When opting for recordings, follow the instructions in your registration confirmation email to request access to view recordings online. Recordings can be viewed at any time once you've received login details. Recordings are only available for a limited time, please refer to your registration confirmation letter for more information.
- The presentation is accompanied by a comprehensive reference manual.
- The manual is sent electronically in PDF format.
- Be equipped with a thorough understanding of POPIA, presented to you by an experienced practitioner in the field.
- Receive a set of webinar notes, all yours for future reference on how to get your house POPIA-ready and how to advise your clients to do the same.
- Empowering you with knowledge to excel in practice is what moves us forward.